Delicioso! We served this chowder the other day at our Women’s Bible study luncheon, here at The Cove, and had an ENORMOUS amount of requests for the recipe. We hope you will enjoy this as much as we did!
Lentil & Beef Chowder
Yield: 4 Quarts ● Portion Size: 8 oz. ● Serves: 16
1 lb. 80/20 ground beef
½ cup diced carrots
1 cup diced onions
½ cup diced celery
2 Tbsp. diced red bell pepper
1 cup sliced button mushrooms
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
8 cups chicken stock
8 cups beef stock
12 oz. lentils
1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
¾ teaspoon black pepper
¼ lb. butter (1 stick)
1 cup flour
1. Brown the beef.
2. Add butter to the beef and melt, then add flour and stir for 20 seconds.
3. Add carrots, onion, celery, and garlic to the “roux”.
4. Stir in the beef and chicken stocks. Simmer for 45 minutes. Stir often.
5. Add red bell pepper, lentils, mushrooms, black pepper, and thyme.
6. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Stir often.
7. Serve with sour cream and chopped herbs.
8. Relax and ENJOY!
Don’t miss when we post other recipes here! Make sure to subscribe to our blog near the top right hand side of this page.
Want to taste the food at The Cove for yourself? Come see us!
Visit our website, www.thecove.org, to see a list of events.