Kendra’s Bible Study…Joshua 11:15-20

Welcome to Kendra Graham’s online Bible study.  This is a place where you can come and share your journey towards Scriptural truths and spiritual maturity.  We pray this will be a safe, respectful, resourceful place to come and discuss God’s Word…to discover What it says…What it means…and What it means to you!

Kendra suggests you use the following process when studying Scripture.  We have included an example of this process from John 1:1.

Step 1:  Pray
Step 2: Read God’s Word (look at the passage)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Step 3: What Does God’s Word Say? (list the facts)
1 In the beginning the Word was with God and was God.
Step 4: What Does God’s Word Mean? (learn the lessons)
1 God‘s Word is not just ancient philosophy, it is eternal Truth.
Step 5: What Does God’s Word Mean to Me? (listen to his voice)
1 How do I view the Bible?

Kendra Graham NOTES from Joshua 11:15-20

The Facts
What Does it Say?

15.    The LORD commanded Moses, Moses commanded Joshua & Joshua did. He left NOTHING undone that the LORD commanded.
16-17.  Joshua took that land, captured their kings, struck them & put them to death.
18.   Joshua waged war a long time.
19.     There was not a city which made peace except Gibeon; they took them all in battle.
20. It was the LORD to harden their hearts & meet Israel in battle, that He might destroy them, they received no mercy just as the LORD commanded

The Lessons.
What Does it Mean?

15.     Be very careful to instruct what the LORD says (not what I think).  Be very careful to do ALL the LORD commands… not just what I think is pertinent. (How cool would it be, to have this said about you and me? That we left nothing undone that the LORD commanded?!) hmmmm so much to chew on here.
16-17.  Joshua lived a life of faithfulness, proven by obedience.  Faithfulness is gained      through obedience proven day in and day out… and cannot be measured until the end.
18.   Joshua battled day after day, week after week, year after year for the same thing.. until he was old and gray.  How many times must he have been tired of the battle set before him, yet again….(did he ever say … ug… here we go AGAIN?)  We all want instant gratification; however God does not work on our timetable, we work in His.  Victory is won as we press in and press on today…. and tomorrow… and the day after that….. don’t get frustrated when things don’t resolve immediately, stay faithful… hang on to the promises of God’s Word and character.  Don’t give up. It’s not the end result of the activity we yearn for, it is faithfulness to God in spite of results, that is what we strive for! Focus on being faithful.  Tough stuff my friends.
19.     The world is not intent on making peace with God as much as they are at making war with God…. (listen to the media on any given day.)  Everyone must make a choice to be for God or against Him. There is no gray area. But there is a choice.
20.    There is a time for everything, a time for grace and mercy, and a time for judgment and righteousness.  God’s character is proven on both sides of the matter.  God is glorified in Israel, and Gibeon, showing that He is full of grace and mercy, and God is holy and perfect, glorified in His right judgment and righteousness displayed to the other nations who were destroyed.  God’s character is proven no matter what.

Applications.
What does it mean to me?

15.     Am I listening to LORD and what He wants, or am I trying to get the LORD to listen to me and accomplish what I want?  Where has the LORD called me today?  Will I live today in obedience to what I have been instructed?
16-17.  Is faithful obedience an objective in my life? Why or why not? Is it obvious to others?
18.    Do I give up if things don’t seem to be going my way or the way I think they should go? Will I continue to trust God to work all things out for my good and His glory, day in and day out?  Will I continue on in spite of being battle weary trusting God to “strengthen those who wait upon Him?” Isaiah 40:31
19.     What have I chosen? Have I chosen to make peace with God by trusting Jesus as my Savior? Or… Have I chosen to stay at odds with God?  Do I realize God has made a way to have peace with Him through Jesus?
20.   How will God be glorified in my life?  Will I accept His grace and mercy?  Will I opt for His judgment and wrath?

** God loves you.  God loves you so much, and wants to display His grace and mercy to you with His whole Being.  God proved this love by coming to earth in the form of a man, that man is Jesus.  Jesus lived a perfect life, not sinning (doing wrong) one time.  Jesus had to be perfect, not one sin is allowed in heaven. We must be as perfect as God to enter…. not “good enough” …. but PERFECT.  None of us are (Romans 3:10,23).  Jesus was perfect, so, being perfect, offered Himself as the perfect payment for us, where we fail.  Jesus died on the cross, shed His blood, so the wrath of God would be satisfied.  God took His wrath out on Himself on the cross, protecting us! Then 3 days later ROSE from the grave (I Corinthians 15:3-4)…. Jesus did this so He could show His mercy to us.  All we have to do is accept it. “For the wages of sin is death, BUT the GIFT of God (Jesus) is eternal life. Romans 6:23.  If you have never accepted this gift of forgiveness, take time now to ask it of God. Romans 10:9-10 “that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.” All we have to do is ask for God’s mercy and forgiveness.  God holds true to His Word.  Accept His grace and mercy while it is offered.  “Now is the day of salvation.” II Corinthians 6:2. The choice is yours. How will you choose?

Share with us your lesson(s) and applications and what they mean to you.
Do you know someone that might be blessed by joining our study? Please share this blog link with them.

HOMEWORK: Joshua 14:6-11

This entry was posted in Bible Study Community with Kendra Graham and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Kendra’s Bible Study…Joshua 11:15-20

1. Mike John Kinch says:

I am looking forward to further study notes

2. Mike John Kinch says:

Mike Kinch United Kingdom

3. Stephen kolawole says:

Highly blessed by this timely study of Joshu a. I think right now every christian is in a battle field. The degree of hotness of the battle only differs.We christian are really besieged in Nigeria already. Its well with Pastor Billy .PLS SAY ME WEll TO HIM .I LOVE HIM SO MUCH. Good evening from Nigeria

4. Darold Farr says:

Wonderfully concise and poignant rendering of the gospel. Blessings to you for doing this and I will be waiting for more.

5. Kay Sims says:

Hi everyone! It’s been a while since I’ve been on here & made a comment. Sorry that I haven’t been able to participate lately. My husband & I were out of town in July and then I’ve started a new job teaching 3rd grade in a charter school near my home. Prayers are welcomed & needed!!

It’s great to read your comments Kendra. I look forward to reading your posts. God has granted you with a wonderful gift!

Hopefully I can join in the discussion from time to time.

6. Hi online friends!
    I am so glad to see others joining in on the conversation.
    Kendra your words are always so right on. You always have such great insight. Thank you.
    Kay, I start back at the preschool where I work next week. I’ll pray for you. Will you please pray for me?!? Them sweet young-uns!!
    To the gentlemen from Nigeria; WELCOME! You are in our prayers, friends. I love how we are family from across the world.
    OK here are my thoughts:

FACTS:
    v.15) The LORD commanded Moses. Moses commanded Joshua, and Joshua did it! He left nothing undone.
    v.16,17) Joshua took the entire land. He conquered the Kings and put them to death.
    v.18) Joshua waged war for a long time.
    v.19) Except for Gibeon not one city made a treaty of peace with the Israelites. They were all taken in battle.
    v.20) The LORD hardened their hearts to wage war, to destroy them-extermination-without mercy just like Moses commanded.

LESSONS:
    v.15) OBEY OBEY OBEY! Leave nothing undone!
    The LORD will bless the life with His presence to the one who obeys.(could there be a better prize)
    v.16,17) The LORD gave Joshua victory. This is what He has been telling Joshua for nine chapters, so God is completely Trustworthy and True! Praise Him!!! He has proved to be that in my life too!!
    v.18) Do NOT give up if the outcome is slow coming. Do not put down your battle gear until God says to. (I read in one commentary that this battle took up to 7 years)
    v.19) Gibeon was a physical reminder of the one time that the Israelites did not seek after Gods instructions.
    v.20) One can cross a line with God in the area of rejecting Him. When that time came, extermination followed.

Applications:
    -Do I keep working on the task at hand and leave nothing undone?
    -When there is a crisis in my life do my actions say I am REALLY trusting God? or is it just pretty words?
    -When my battle is not won fast or what I want doesn’t come about quickly, do I quit or get so discouraged that I want to quit?SEVEN YEARS!!!
    -Do I take time to recall the things God has brought me through so as not to go down that path again? Do I see His mercy graciously poured out on me?
    -Simply, do I obey?…completely…no matter how long it takes?
    -Do I put to death all that Christ asks of me?

LIVE IT OUT:
    Joshua never saw God let him down. God is so completely trustworthy. I feel like Joshuas successes were because of his complete obedience. What would happen if just us handful of people doing this Bible study obeyed like Joshua…totally and completely. I’ve asked God to make US “Joshuas”. But first we must be willing to lay this worlds stuff to the wayside and give our hearts over to our God, daily.

God, You are so wonderful to give us this treasure-Your word. What a gift to us, so we can come and reason together and sort through this to learn of You. What a HUGH honor this is. Help us to not take it for granted. Thank You so much for opening up your thoughts to us!! I think it is in Psalm where it says “Who am I that You are mindful of me?” Oh my, that is exactly how I feel. Why would You even look my way? But thank You that You did. Thank You for wooing my heart. You are MY God!!! I love You
    Amen
    I hope everyone has a very God-filled week!!
    May God show up big in your lives!
    Robin

• Stefanie says:

Robin, you wrote: What would happen if just us handful of people doing this Bible study obeyed like Joshua…totally and completely. I’ve asked God to make US “Joshuas”. But first we must be willing to lay this worlds stuff to the wayside and give our hearts over to our God, daily.

First, thanks for keeping me in your prayers. This study has been helpful to me on so many levels and the insights you give have contributed to that!

Second, we hare a handful (in more ways than one, huh?) Kendra has been so kind to take her time and to use her wisdom to guide us along as we struggle through life–but not alone!

Lastly, may God indeed bless and encourage us in His Word, may He teach it to us and may we be diligent scholars of It. I have gotten so lazy and not made studying a priority and my life is just so much better when He is the largest part of me rather than myself. Is it time yet to go back to weekly studies so that I may be held more accountable? ;-)

7. Kay Sims says:

Robin,
    Yes, I’ll pray for you & I’ll need all the prayers I can get because I’ve been out of teaching for over 2 yrs!! I’m thankful that God has given me this opportunity to teach again. God Bless!

• Kay,
      I am on it sister!!!
      To be out for a couple of years and then get back in to it again can be a scary feeling but “DO NOT FEAR” (lol)…where have we heard that before??
      We need godly teachers like you. I will lift you up!!
      Your sister in Christ, Robin

8. Stefanie says:

Ladies (and new gentlemen as well): Good morning! I have just finished this portion and I am a little shaky. I want to be firm, to be steady, and to know what I am doing is right–not in my eyes, but in the eyes of my God. Prayers are most welcomed!!

15. FACTS Just as the Lord commanded Moses, Joshua did.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN God’s Word does not change. Regardless of how many times It is repeated, the Word does not change from generation to generation.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO ME Do I try to change God’s commands to suit my needs and my changes in life?

16-17. FACTS Joshua took all that land and he captured all the kings and struck them down and put them to death.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN? Ah, to take what the Lord has promised to me! How sweet, how carefree my life would be! To capture each thought that hinders me, to guard my tongue and only speak good things, and to receive His blessings as never before! To put to rest the stumbling blocks that I seem to keep tripping on.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO ME? Why is it so hard for me to accept what God says as truth and to just do the things He has commanded to me? What territories am I not allowing myself to conquer because I have yet to do the first part: to obey the commands of God?

18. FACTS Joshua waged war a long time with all these kings.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN? A long time? Robin, you wrote that this amount of time was 7 years. Hmn. Battles are not easily won, even when we have already been assured of the victory. Our minds easily lead us to take paths, to use strategies that may or may not work. And because Joshua was fighting against many kings, he could not handle them all at one time. He was not omnipresent so he had to be at the place of battle that required his attention the most at that given time.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO ME? When conquering my own trials, one may seem more important, more pressing than another so I deal with it. However, that does not mean that the other squirmish has been settled. It’s kind of like the Dave Ramsey approach to handling debts: categorize the most pressing, and then take the next one, rather than trying to spread yourself too thinly. Some of the battles I fight now can wait until another day. Maybe they will even disappear on their own once they see that I have picked my battles wisely.

19. FACTS There was not a city which made peace with the sons of Israel except the Hivites living in Gibeon; they took them all in battle.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN? Peace can be found in the midst of war. What a nice reminder! There doesn’t always have to be a loser!!!! Sometimes compromise can be found.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO ME? The other night I was able to experience a small turning point in my “war” with my family. It was not expected yet at the same time I had a notion that it might be upcoming. While no clear victor was evident, headway was made in what I had almost completely given up on. This verse shows me that in the midst of anguish and people destroying one another, peace can be found. CAN be found though doesn’t necessarily mean that it should. Hmn.

20. FACTS It was of the LORD to harden their hearts, to meet Israel in battle in order that he might utterly destroy them, that they might receive no mercy, but that he might destroy them, just as the LORD commanded Moses.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN? This is a tough verse for me. I feel my mother’s heart has been hardened; that she has passed the point of no return in her need to mend fences before the cancer completely takes over her body. She was given time but has used it unwisely. As she has let this time slip from her, her relatives’ hearts too are becoming hasty. They aren’t as willing, as wanting to reconcile, seeing as how she is so close to death, so close, yet so unwilling to bend. Sigh. Her destruction is at hand as her body withers away, as her bones become brittle and are breaking too often, as her mind becomes more and more fuzzy.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO ME? What lessons am I learning about my own mortality, my own need to forgive, to mend fences through the experiences of my mother? Am I too hard, too cold, too set in my ways to admit that I am the one who is wrong in situations that need to be addressed before the desire of either party wanes?

APPLICATION
    Another timely message for me, God! Thanks! Even when I am reading things that I don’t want to admit are faults within myself, You are continually showing me I have a long way to go. While Joshua fought this battle for 7 years, my war has gone on longer than that. Is the end in sight? I used to think there would be reconciliation after my dad died. That was 4 years ago and it didn’t happen; the crevice only grew wider. Now with my mother’s demise in sight, a small opening, a narrow bridge has appeared. Will I cross it or stay on my safe side, which may not be the winning side at all—contrary to what I have been telling myself. How can there be any victory God unless You are glorified? How can there be any good testimony from this whole mess until I am willing to take every opportunity offered to me, in spite of my fears that it’s all just another trick, another deception? Oh God! Give me discernment! Joshua got his by following all that You had commanded. Keep showing me what I am not doing so that I too may be victorious. Yes, keep me wise as well so as not to fall prey to the devices that the devil is using to tear me down as he pretends to offer a hope that there can be reconciliation. After all, I was pretty doggone sure You had already settled this and that You had allowed me to accept that my family and I would just not ever be again. Let me not be fooled by him again (ha! At least not in this area.) but instead be led by You, Your Word, Your Truth, Your Spirit, and Your will. Amen.

9. Delores says:

I would like to join your Bible Study.

• notesfromthecove says:

Delores, we are glad to have you join our online Bible study. All you have to do is join us every other Tuesday as Kendra and others provide their insights on the Scripture we are studying. If you have not subscribed to the blog, that would be a good idea, so you are notified via email each time a new blog is posted. Also if you live nearby, we have a Women’s Bible Study at The Cove beginning on January 8th that lasts for 8 weeks. All the information is here: http://www.thecove.org/Event/list-events-by-type/other%20events/ God bless you!